Re: Any heads-up moving from 2.0.34 to 2.1.115?

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 18:13:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > What do you mean by this, I'm not clear?
> >
> > The first time I installed the 2.1.115 kernel source, I then did:
> >
> > make menuconfig
> >
> > Then I loaded my 2.0.35 config file into menuconfig with the
> > "Load Alternate Configuration file" command on the menu.
> >
> > Then I went through every single menu one at a time like usual,
> > turning options on and off, modules, etc..
>
> You indeed have to step over each option.

I always do that. I prefer the nice ncurses menuconfig over
"make config". Come to think of it, I haven't ran anything _but_
menuconfig ever since 2.0.0 came out. I don't mind checking each
screen out. It keeps me up to date on kernel changes, and
options.

> > Isn't that just plain black and white scrolly text with no
> > menuconfig?
>
> Right, it's plain text. But `make oldconfig' differs from `make config': it
> asks you for new config options that didn't exist before only. It doesn't
> bother you with questions about things that existed before. So it's very clear
> which options are introduced with the new kernel.
>
> `make oldconfig' is the recommended thing to do after each kernel source
> upgrade.

I don't think I could handle a yes/no question game after using
menuconfig. ;o)

As long as I'm not missing anything with menuconfig, I don't mind
checking every screen out. As a matter of fact, I look forward
to it to see what new Linux features I can brag about to all my
Wintel friends. ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com