Re: ncr53c8xx and SCSI problems: please help

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:12:13 +0200 (MEST)

Riccardo Facchetti wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Gerard Roudier wrote:
>
> > The SCSI system seems locked up.
> >
> > Seems the FUJITSU (removable) have problems with the medium and messes up
> > the SCSI BUS is such a situation.
>
> The FUJITSU don't have the medium into it and this is the explanation of
> the sdb problem.
>
> The FUJITSU is a MO drive and for past experences I refuse to
> mantain a cartridge in it. This MO seems to go to (hardware) ruin if I
> mantain a cartridge loaded indefinitely into it.
> I know this is my problem but .. hmm .. I don't want to lose the MO drive.
> I will try to mantain a media loaded in the next days but this is not a
> solution for me.

The Fujistsu complaining about "not ready" (Operator intervention
needed!) seems valid to me. I mean if you don't have a disk in it
that is exactly how its supposed to work.

A friend of mine has the same MO drive, and it reports the same
errors. An old slackware system I am supposed to keep running keeps
on trying to mount CDs while booting. All people involved were scared
by the messages, so I disabled the attempt in the rc file yesterday.

Roger.

--
| The secret of success is sincerity.  Once you can |  R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl
| fake that, you've got it made.  -- Jean Giraudoux |       T: +31-15-2137555
-We write Linux device drivers for any device you may have! Call for a quote-