Re: Notebooks

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 23:06:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> 2.1.116 has a few patches that it
> _shouldn't_ have had and that made it into the final release by mistake
> (the page aging code shouldn't have been ifdeffed out), but it seems
> stable, and that's what I really care about.

Blush. 2.1.116 also has a line like

current->flags &= PF_MEMALLOC;

that should _obviously_ read

current->flags &= ~PF_MEMALLOC;

and because it doesn't 2.1.116 has some really strange properties (but it
actually _does_ work really well for me even with the buggy line:
surprising how few problems I saw, an how I found it by actually
inspecting the sources rather than anything else).

I suspect 2.1.116 is stable, but due to the above thing it probably
doesn't page out things as well as it should (leaving too much to kswapd).
Although what do I know - it might actually do pretty well.

Linus