Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 01:25:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > > isn't this what vgafb did?
> >
> > Vgafb is VGA _text_ only.
>
> ??? Now I am really confused. So what is the difference between vgafb
> and vgacon?

Vgacon is an abstract console driver, vgafb is a frame buffer device. Vgacon is
on the same level as fbcon, while vgafb runs under fbcon.

It's indeed confusing, that's why we want to remove vgafb. Vgafb dates back to
the days that you couldn't do multihead without frame buffer devices.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be