Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:40:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Jes Sorensen writes:
> > linker <linker@z.ml.org> writes:
> >> On 16 Aug 1998, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>
> > As for space I do care - imagine having to do Linux installation
> > floppies and having to put 50 video drivers on there which includes
> > acceleration code just to get a simple console display ... its bad
> > enough with the amount of drivers as it is already.
>
> No, you only need that if you want the intall to run X.
> If you _do_ want the install to run X, you are no worse off
> than you would be with a huge collection of userspace drivers.

If you want the install to run X you are not thinking clearly
anyway. X is huge because it does so many things, most of which are not
needed for a simple, local machine install. Write a simple install GUI
with LibGWT, and you can even remote it with LibGGI's distributed
targeting system if you want to do over-the-wire installs.

> > Most cards do X fine in user space as it is now and it works
> > pretty well.
>
> It works. That is all. We don't get to use all the features
> that Windows users can use.

And we don't even get as much stability as windows users either!
THAT is sad.

> > Ok lets put it another way: A lot of people use older installations
> > and are not very much interested in upgrading kernels regularly due to
> > the `if it works now, don't try to install something that may break
> > something else' strategy. Thus if we tie the whole graphics
> > acceleration stuff (which primarily means X) to the kernel it means
> > that people will have to run and get new kernels to get the new and
> > improved X servers that can run using acceleration on their hardware
> > same goes for bug fixes.
>
> That is totally bogus. The same thing applies to SCSI, Ethernet,
> sound, and every other bit of hardware.
>
> Speaking for myself, I'd much rather upgrade the kernel.
> XFree86 comes with a collection of libraries, and a library
> upgrade often breaks stuff. The kernel is easy to change.

The kernel is also *MUCH* easier to rebuild from source. And you
can use modules if you don't want to upgrade your kernel just yet.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed