Re: Winmodem support, some performance tradeoff estimates

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 15:45:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Hmm. My Courier was purchased approximately 2 years ago as well, and it
> was a very nice model, even when the Sportsters purchased at the same
> time started turning into crap. (Sportsters used to be good modems,
> too, then USR dropped the price and the quality of the Sportsters took a
> nose dive --- all of this before 3Com bought out USR, so we can't lay
> this entirely at 3Com's door.)

It's interesting how the quality dropped; as if they were desperate for
some cashflow through the company. Hopefully 3Com will be able to put them
back on the straight and narrow. Their networking cards are quite good.

> So recent model Couriers have gone the way of Sportsters, eh? Too bad.
> I'll have to look at some other higher quality external modem.....

The new style Couriers suck, but the old style Couriers are good.

Cheers,
Alex.

---
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!