Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Bernd Harries (harries@stn-atlas.de)
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 13:56:03 +0200

Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> The Mac is too expensive and the Atari is dead. Most of the world
> isn't rich you see, and would like to have computers anyway.

Your poverty is not my other people's problem.

> People drink Bud Light,

Wrong! Americans and other dorks dring Bud Light. I drink Beck's

That is a completely different point
> Perhaps you can explain how a userspace solution will drive a chip
> like the i740. If you prefer, think "Cyrix CPU with built-in video"
> and assume we have documentation. Don't forget the chipset-initiated
> DMA, perhaps including use of the i386 page tables and an IRQ.

That is a completely different point

> With OS protection, most junk is stable. It is much cheaper to
> use a bit of kernel memory than it is to buy proper hardware.
> So far, only one example of proper hardware has been given,
> and I can't find it at www.pricewatch.com.

But it's less fun than to smash the crappy hardware witha big hammer.

Although hardware accesses do belong into the kernel in Unixes it does
not automatically mean that the kernel HAS to fix hardware bugs. If you
want it to, write a workaround. You have the source.

How big shit most PC graphics cards are can be seen from the point that
they don't have a FIFO EMPTY IRQ condition... You must poll it.

--
Bernd Harries

bha@gmx.de http://www.freeyellow.com/members/bharries bharries@vossnet.de Tel. +49 421 809 7351 priv. | Linux-m68k harries@atlas.de +49 421 457 3966 offi. | Medusa T40 bernd@linux-m68k.org