Re: Winmodem support, some performance tradeoff estimates

Thomas Sailer (sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch)
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 13:44:03 +0200

Aaron Tiensivu wrote:

> SB PCI64 -> Ensoniq AudioPCI for 3x the cost
> Instead of using onboard ram, it robs your system's ram

Actually, I find the Ensoniq AudioPCI a pretty good card. It does PCM
audio
(aka "WAVE") very well, is cheap, and it leaves MIDI synth to software.
I'm happy with that as (1) I'm not interested in MIDI synth and (2)
people claim that software synthesis if done properly sounds
significantly better
than the HW synths found on most PC soundcards.

Tom