Re: Support for >2Gig files on i386

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:41:47 +1200

On Sun, Aug 16, 1998 at 06:55:33PM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> That's why I was suggesting an approach that bypasses the VFS and the
> generic file read/write routines for files >2GB. It's almost certainly
> easier to implement, and I suspect it will fit more people's needs.

Surely it depends what people use >2GB files for?

Sure, large databases use them - but them most real databases allow
you to use multiple devices[*]/files....

If we are to allow some files to bypass the VFS, then this actually
might be a nice thing to do for other files, depending on a flag
passed to open(2).

-cw

[*] Here I mean: Device == database device != linux block device