Re: Winmodem support, some performance tradeoff estimates

Andi Kleen (linker@z.ml.org)
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 20:23:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

[snip]
> anyway, because I don't trust the construction and quality on the
> sub-$100 internal modems, Winmodems or not. When everybody was
> complaining about all of the glitches and problems with the USR
> Sporsters, I was using my USR Courier modem with nary a problem.

I hope you havn't updated the rom on that Courier recently.. USR modems
have become crap recently. A recnetly flashed Courier is luck to connect
to anything except USR stuff... It's very very sad. I owned a Courrier
9600 HST, then a Dual standard, all very very good stuff.. Now they only
sell junk.. I've got an Imodem, on a Linux IPMASQ box and I have to reboot
it every too or three days or it just starts droping ISDN connections (I'm
luckey to have a static IP)..

> Coincidence? I think not. You get what you pay for.
>
> - Ted

So... How much did you pay for Linux? :) I guess you can argue that you've
payed alot in terms of your own efforts, but Linux is just as good for my
Girlfriend who has done nothing to help Linux but use it..