Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 13:40:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998 linker@z.ml.org wrote:

> On 16 Aug 1998, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>
> The fact remains that PC video hardware is not senceabily built and the
> drivers really need to be in the kernel to do accelleration. There are
> lots of weird issues with trying to do accelleration, there is no way a
> process without all sorts of hardware access can do accelleration.
>
> > I had the impression that people had finally realised the acceleration
> > belongs in user space and were now porting libGGI to use this - seems
> > like I was wrong ;-( Basically you are telling us that libGGI will
> > never be fast as it can never ustilize accelration - this is a real
> > shame.
>
> No, he's saying that people who dont wish to use accelerated drivers with
> libGGI can never have acceleration on the current FBCON driver. You could
> write your own libggi target that banged the hardware and got acceleation.

There are already a couple ways to do this. One is that LibbGI
can use SVGALib as a target. The other is "suidkgi", which is KGI+KGI
drivers and runs in userspace.

> Furthermore, the dumb frame buffer and the acceleration parts could be in
> seperate modules (they might already be I havn't used kgicon, of KGI in a
> long time).. You only get the acceleration functions loaded if you use an
> accelerate app..

This isn't the case right now, but the accel driver takes up very
little space, 5-10K at most.

> > How are you going to disguise EvStack?
> >
> > Jes
>
> As descent multihead support perhaps? It would be nice to see good
> multihead (/multi console) support on Linux. (yes, I know metrox and
> accelx give you multi head, but what if I want two consoles, one with two
> heads?)..

EvStack (which is now called GGI Console) will be able to bind
together an arbitrary collection of input and output devices and call that
a console. Multiheading will be a piece of cake.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed