Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
14 Aug 1998 20:14:07 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.199808121603.JAA03381@eiserloh.chinalake.navy.mil>,
Peter P. Eiserloh <peter@eiserloh.chinalake.navy.mil> wrote:
>>> This follows the fundamental principal of keeping policy out of the
>>> kernel (an argument which you yourself have advanced), and doing as much
>>> as possible in usermode. Performance won't be an issue, since if the
>---- deleted stuff ----
>
>>The Only issue is that you then lose /dev on filesystems which don't
>>support UNIX nodes (ie devfs on ms-dos partitions). Though there are
>>other ways of achieving the same effect, so it's no big loss.
>

>By all means keep policy out of the kernel.

I'm afraid you're stuck with policy no matter what. Either
you're stuck with a (devfs) naming policy or a (traditional
Unix) major/minor policy.

____
david parsons \bi/ And using major/minor numbers requires
\/ a user-space configuration tool which will
break your system sooner or later.