Re: Winmodem support

Craig Schlenter (craig@is.co.za)
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 20:01:18 +0200 (SAST)

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Chris Zwilling wrote:

[snip]
> I just wanted to put in 1.44^2 cents here... I hope that there isn't
> anyone working on a Winmodem driver. I feel that there are better things
> to waste time on - like coming up with a standard for sound card
> programming. Winmodems in general (IMHO) are a brain dead design. I have
> yet to see a piece of software do as good or better job than hardware.
> This also applies to Winprinters and anything else Win.

It may not be an issue for _you_ but taking the moral or technical high
ground and saying there are more virtuous issues to work on or better
solutions doesn't change the fact that I have to boot win95 to connect to
the Internet right now from my machine at home.

The more hardware support we have for linux, the better things will be
IMHO.

If someone is thinking of starting up a winmodem project, I'll try to help
in whatever limited way I can.

Just my 0.02c too.

--Craig