Re: IRQ trouble

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 02:53:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Jeroen-bart Engelen wrote:

> > > IRQ 9 is cascaded to IRQ 2, so technically it doesn't exist. ( although my
> > > sportster winmodem uses IRQ 9 ;()
> >
> > Yes. My modem is on what I refer to as IRQ 2. In DOS programs,
> > I set the software to use IRQ 2 and everything works. If I use
> > "IRQ 9", nothing works.
>
> Hmmm....
>
> > In Windows 3.1/95 I have to set it to IRQ 9 or nothing works. In
> > Linux, I set it to IRQ 2 and it works.
>
> Why won't Linux detect that an IRQ is in use then?

man setserial

autodetect is there, but not perfect.

> Or does it?
> It doesn't with IRQ9 on my system.

I don't like autodetect stuff like that. I'd rather specify it.

> > PC hardware is braindamaged IMHO. It would be nice to see a new
> > architecture with a PIC with 256 IRQ's, all non-cascaded in one
> > chip. Same goes for DMA and any other resources.
>
> We'll probably seen DNA chips before :-))

;o) True.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com