Re: netdate crashes 2.1.115

Myrdraal (myrdraal@jackalz.dyn.ml.org)
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 02:21:35 -0400

On Fri, Aug 14, 1998 at 01:02:30AM -0400, Ralf Wierzbicki wrote:
Hi,
> This is a perfectly reproducable bug:
>
> this is a p133 with 64 megs running Debian Linux 2.0. my system date was
> off by 8 hours so i tried to use the netdate utility to set it. The
> system stopped responding, even the SysRq key didn't do anything. I
> repeated that 2 more times and every time linux crashed. Here is what
> exactly happened.
>
> #
> /usr/sbin/netdate time-A.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov
> some messages here..............yeah your clock is off by this many
> seconds.
> a pause, i get the prompt back, a few seconds and the machine freezes.
>
> After that i cold rebooted and after the usual fsck'ing i typed date to
> see if it was set and no it was still off. I used date to set the time
> and it worked fine (in single user mode, i didn't dare to try in
> multi usermode).
For what it's worth, I can't duplicate the problem. I tried that, and no
ill effects. Also I have 'netdate time.nist.gov' croned to run daily. As
you can see, my system has been up seven days.
-Myrdraal
--
Linux jackalz 2.1.115 #119 Thu Aug 6 18:56:16 EDT 1998 i486
2:20am  up 7 days,  6:48, 26 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.16, 0.43