Re: try_to_unuse: entry xxx not in use

Bill Hawes (whawes@transmeta.com)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:59:56 -0700

Trever Adams wrote:

> Bill Hawes wrote:
> >

> > This message indicates that the system might have lost track of a swap page
> > -- when it came time to turn swap off, the swap map count indicated that the
> > page was in use, but no task was found still using it.
> >
> > The next time you plan to shut down, you might try turning swapoff -a by hand
> > so that any such messages will get logged.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bill
>
> No need. I just made sure I had a bit more time this time. I got them
> again. I was no where near as heavily into swap and my loadavg must
> have been around 1 or 2. I think that I have been getting these all
> except the first time or two I ran 2.1.115. I tend to get about 4 to 6
> of them at shutdown when swapoff is called.
>
> Q: Does this indicate a problem that might lead to lost memory (freed
> but not really) or to memory corruption?

I suspect it's just a bug in the swap code that leads to a swap map count getting
lost. It probably wouldn't lead to memory corruption, but just to a loss of usable
swap.

Were there any other VM- or swap-related messages in your logs? It might be
helpful if anyone who sees these messages did a periodic swapoff/swapon to see if
the occurrences correlate with any particular application.

Regards,
Bill