Re: bad patches (was: Patches vs complete tarballs....)

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:28:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Shawn Leas writes:

> > Notice the prog dir is inside a seperate subdir, but kernel patches
> > simply have a ver appended to a dir. This is OK.
>
> No, look:
>
> diff -u --recursive --new-file v2.1.114/linux/CREDITS linux/CREDITS
> --- v2.1.114/linux/CREDITS Tue Jul 21 00:15:29 1998
> +++ linux/CREDITS Thu Aug 6 11:13:43 1998
>
> Count the number of slashes in each name. You will see that they are
> not the same, which is bad. Patching results will vary with the version
> of the patch program that you use.

I know, and I was clumsily trying to make the same point. The reference
to "prog dir is inside a seperate subdir" means that there are differing
numbers of subdirs.

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2031 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2050 for the rich and the dead.
891 days remaining in the Raw Deal.