Re: Patches vs complete tarballs....

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:11:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Mikkel Lauritsen wrote:

> > 1. uncompress and untar the original unaltered source into a directory.
> > 2. cd into said directory
> > 3. patch -p2 < patch_file > results
> > 4. examine results
>
> Quoting from the README file of Linux 2.0.35 which hasn't changed
> much in 2.1:

Ahh... the easy approach... RTFM... ;o)

> : - You can also upgrade between 2.0.xx releases by patching. Each
> : patch that is released for 2.0.xx contains only bugfixes. No
> : new features will be added to the Linux kernel until the 2.1.xx
> : development effort begins. To install by patching, get all the
> : newer patch files and do
> :
> : cd /usr/src
> : gzip -cd patchXX.gz | patch -p0
>
> Using this method (or alternatively the patch-kernel script in
> linux/scripts/patch-kernel) has always worked perfectly for me.
> I just upgraded from 2.1.110 to 2.1.115 on my computer at home
> this way without any problems at all.

Yes, but some people don't like things to work. They like to do
things the wrong way, and then complain that the kernel is
broken, or the patches are broken.

If people would RTFM a bit, most of this confusion would be gone.

For the record:

TFM's are:

/usr/src/linux/README
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes

After reading those, and ensuring the proper versions of all
installed software listed in Changes, if a patch fails (using
the method described in the README file, only THEN should a post
about patches failing be posted.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com