Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:49:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Rob Hagopian wrote:

> There are bodyguards in the bedroom if 'init' is there... I can watch bash
> or killall do a kill(1, SIGKILL) yet nothing happens so can only assume
> that someone with a kevlar vest is taking the shot... Shouldn't root be
> responsible enough to not kill init (pun intended :-)?

Yes, root should. And I already told people that
(a) "init" is special, because the kernel explicitly knows about it (both
for reaping children and for rebooting the system). As such, "init"
has meaning for the integrity of the kernel itself, something that is
_not_ true of anything else, certainly not the X server.
(b) even so, most of that is historical.

In short, I'd be more willing to remove the init special case than to add
a new special case. Case closed,

Linus