Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Jes Sorensen (Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch)
13 Aug 1998 12:41:31 +0200

Jon> On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> Fbcon doesn't export rectangular blitting neither. fb.h may suggest
>> so, but that was preliminary. Just removed it in cvs.

Jon> Huh. OK, so all accels now are to be done with
Jon> driver-specific ioctls?

No in user space - fbdev may use accel for things that can speed up
the console code, like recangular blitting and clearing, it does not
intend to provide some generic kernel accel API.

When you want to have accel control in user space, you tell fbdev and
it wont use acceleration for the console until the user space program
finishes with it.

>> Driver specific MMIO mmap, I assume?

Jon> Or ioctls. I tend to favor ioctls, because giving userspace
Jon> direct access to the MMIO registers still leaves open the
Jon> prossibility of crashes. Not all combinations of register writes
Jon> are guaranteed legal.

We did not do that on purpose, ioctl == context switch and we don't
want that.

Jes