Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:57:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> >
> > Sorry. It cannot "do it" correctly in userspace. I'll buy
> > trusting the X server, you convinced me of that. I will NOT buy the X
> > server being unable to handle signal 9 correctly.
>
> You're on some strange drugs, and I don't know what to say.

Grow up.

> I tell you that X can block SIGKILL, but you don't seem to be happy with
> that either. What's your beef?

I don't really have a beef, in spite of what you may think. This
is (to *me*, anyway) a purely technical discussion. As I haven't run
XFree86 for some time now, whether or not you, the XFree86 people or
anyone else does anything to fix this problem is no skin off my nose. I
run XF86_FBdev or XGGI. I have what I need, and it is only going to get
better with time. I don't need you to change a damn thing. I'm just
bullshitting about kernel issues, same as everyone else on this list does.

> Never mind, I consider this discussion to be completely uninteresting
> until somebody actually has a productive idea rather than just general "we
> need to redesign this just because I say so" type blathering.

Feel free to not participate, then.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'