Re: Giving a user root access

Patrick Mau (mau@do.isst.fhg.de)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 17:31:58 +0200

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Dirk Hunter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to give a user root access to a machine without using
> su???

No it's not possible, because you don't want to enable root-login with
telnet or rlogin. You could do that by commenting-out (aeh, 'make that
line a comment', you know?) the 'CONSOLE' line in /etc/login.defs.

But I would not recommend that. There's software for Unix/Linux that
does a pretty good job at managing remote access with automatic
authentication (sp?).

Look at the 'Secure shell' homepage:

http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/

It's really worse a try because it does X11 connection forwarding and
all kinds of stuff like compressed TCP/IP transfers. I use it all the
time. If you have problems installing it, just drop me a line.

cheers,
Patrick

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I had no sleep.