Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 07:58:01 -0700 (PDT)

On 12 Aug 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <Pine.HPP.3.91.980811192452.22974F-100000@gaia.ecs.csus.edu>,
> Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> That's not the kernel's job.
> >
> > Whose job is it then? X's? X cannot do the job properly because
> >it can be killed and leave the hardware in an unknown state.
>
> Jon, why do you continue to maintain this, when you have been told that
> you're wrong?

I have not.

> The X server can avoid even kill -9 from a normal user. As it stands,
> it doesn't do that, and I personally think it's a bug in X.

I agree.

> But it's
> not a kernel problem - X could make sure (by doing a "setuid(0)" to
> renounce all use privileges) that nobody can kill it but root.
>
> (And by the time you have a root that sends it a signal, you have a root
> that could have killed the machine in easier ways, so don't even bother
> claiming that it makes any difference).

But I wasn't trying to kill the machine. I was trying to make the
X server hang up in a way that is supposed to work correctly.

> So "that's not the kernel's job" is correct.

I stand by my claim. If userspace cannot, by its nature, properly
guarantee the atomicity of those critical sections, video card programming
cannot be done properly in userspace. Thus, it *is* the kernel's job.

> As long as you continue to claim this stupid "oh, the X server can't do
> this, because.." when it's very obvious that the X server _can_ do it,
> you aren't very believeable.

Sorry. It cannot "do it" correctly in userspace. I'll buy
trusting the X server, you convinced me of that. I will NOT buy the X
server being unable to handle signal 9 correctly.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed