Re: [patch #2] vesafb: panning and palette changes using bios

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 16:38:01 +0200

On Sat, Aug 08, 1998 at 11:56:28AM +0200, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Alex Buell wrote:
>
> > > Next step ahead: vesafb uses the protected mode interface for palette
> > > changes too.
> >
> > Does it only does this on initialisation?
>
> No, for all palette changes. This should make gfx boards which have not
> the standard vga palette registers (MediaGX?) work with vesafb. Here is
> the patch (against vanilla 2.1.115).
>
> Gerd

Works great on my Millenium. Thanks!

I do prefer matroxfb anyway, because it allows me to set arbitrary
resolutions with fbset and to customize the timings.

But I do think, vesafb is now accpetable for anybody having a VESA2 gfx
device.

--
Kurt Garloff, Dortmund
<K.Garloff@ping.de>