Re: Patches vs complete tarballs....

Alan Modra (alan@spri.levels.unisa.edu.au)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:26:30 +0930 (CST)

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, John Cochran wrote:

> However, in my defense, I have to point out a problem with the patches...
>
> THEY'RE NOT CORRECT

Yes they are (mostly). I've successfully patched from version 1.1.0 up to
version 2.1.115, with only the occasional tarball to check. I've just
verified my source with 2.1.115.tar.gz (previous downloaded tarball was
2.0.0, I think)

> Yes, I'm claiming that the patches aren't correct. The reason I'm
> claiming that is because whenever I use a patch, I will get FAILURES
> on some files when applying the patch to an unaltered, unmodified
> copy of the kernel source.

Update your version of patch. Early versions of patch-2.5 had bugs.
patch-2.5.3 seems OK.