Re: Problem with parallel port sharing in 2.0.3x

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 21:03:04 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Mike Sackton wrote:

> I'm have a machine with a parallel port zip drive and parallel printer.
> I compiled both drivers as modules, and assumed kerneld would load them on
> demand. That failed.

I'm guessing that it failed for the Zip drive only (because there is no
way to know that e.g. /dev/sdb4 is a ppa a priori) -- autoloading the
printer module should work fine.

> I got the following general protection fault using 2.0.34:
>
> [snipped]
>
> I saw it in the logs, along with a bunch similar to it (all caused by lpd
> after the line
>
> thor kernel: lp0: using parport0 at 0x378, polling.

This did not come from clean 2.0.34, but rather from a kernel with an old
and outdated parport patch applied.

To use a printer and Zip drive together (but not simultaneously) in 2.0.x,
you are better off using insmod/rmmod.

If you want everything to just work without having to bother with
insmod/rmmod, use the parport support in 2.1.x (or wait for 2.2..).

Tim.
*/