Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 15:43:46 +1000

Raul Miller writes:
> > I'm afraid I don't quite see what you're getting at here. Could you
> > please rephrase it somehow?
>
> My point is that once you've taken into account requirements for browsing
> (is the hardware installed correctly?) and security (who's allowed to
> bring up a piece of hardware?), you're way outside the scope of what
> you can do with the ability to lookup non-existent device nodes in /dev
> causing modules to be automatically loaded by kmod.

There could be similar potential security problems with ordinary
disc-based device nodes and kmod too, it would seem. Also, a device
driver should fail safely if a piece of hardware is not installed
correctly. Further, a system should still be safe/secure if a module
is loaded, otherwise the driver is broken.
Just because a module is loaded doesn't mean that some random user can
open the device node and frob it.

Regards,

Richard....