Re: [OFFTOPIC]linux + WIN98

Michel Catudal (bbcat@netonecom.net)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:20:47 -0400

bryan vold wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 1998 at 03:43:20PM -0700, Michel Catudal wrote:
> > bryan vold wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sat, Aug 08, 1998 at 03:30:55AM -0300, Garst R. Reese wrote:
> > Partition magic would be the magic solution with the boot
> > manager, no problem with win32 there.
>
> Do you mean FAT32? I didn't actually try to use the FAT32 system, because the
> FAQ didn't support it's use (discouraged it, actually). I'm beginning to
> think I shouldn't posted...
>
> -btv
> --
> bvold@uhc.com

I mistyped, you're right. And you are correct, the FAQ discourages it's
use. There are good reasons, it's rather new and from Microsoft, meaning
probably very buggy. I know a guy at work who sent his winblows
partition
in a black hole after uninstalling a program. I'm not sure exactly what
happened, all I know is that he had to reformat his hard disk.
Partition magic can resize your fat32 partition. It doesn't matter then
whether or not you can see the fat 32 from Linux. You can always create
a small fat 16 partition to transfer data to and from the two systems.
We may not want fat32 but it's there to stay. I'm sure they will
eventually fix the deadly bugs. Most of all is that most if not all
new systems have that darn fat32 on them. If we don't feel like
reinstalling winblows, partition magic is there to help.

I've found partition magic extremmely useful and it's safe to use. I
have never had any problem with it and it has saved by hide more than
once. How would you approach a boss and say that you have to waste
several hours to reinstall a system because you need another partition?

And a note to the one who bitched at me for not writing a book but
just a helpfull two lines reply : "put a sock in it, I ain't in a
mood for a flame"

I wish a lovely day to eveyone else.

--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking