Re: IDE-Driver Disk Accounting Missing, Maybe SCSI too......

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:26:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:

> However IMHO, Linus must still believe that the IDE-DMA has problems or
> he would have removed the following.
>
> if [ "$CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI" = "y" ]; then
> # Either the DMA code is buggy or the DMA hardware is unreliable. FIXME.
> bool ' Generic PCI bus-master DMA support' CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA
>
> You know that I still back you, and the work that you have done.

Andre, I find you to be completely incomprehensible.

- Linus does not "believe" there are problems with DMA. Linus "knows".
Big difference.
- I _have_ removed the above thing, long ago, I removed it the moment I
got the patch from Mark that (a) documented the fact that some drives
have problems with DMA and (b) made it a configuration option that
enabled DMA by default.

That was all I really asked for. It's not the "clever" solution, but it
makes everybody reasonably happy. This way you can compile a kernel with
DMA support and run that same kernel on multiple machines, and then
actually enable that DMA support only on the machines you trust (imagine
RedHat or somebody else doing a generic kernel). Or if you trust all of
them then you can make it enable DMA automatically - you have the choice.

So Andre, if you expect me to take you seriously, why don't you just get
your facts straight. Don't expect me to apply your patches if you still
don't understand that there actually were disks that had problems with
DMA.

Linus