Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 19:29:27 +1000

Terry L. Ridder writes:
> Richard Gooch wrote:
> >
> > Terry L. Ridder writes:
> > [...]
> > > A fully populated SCSI situation of which you are referring is
> > > in my opinion a myth. If you take a moment and consider the numbers
> > > you are talking about for both SCSI host adapters, disk drives, tape
> > > drives,
> > > etc, you will see that that is the case.
> > >
> > > Using Richard Gooch's own numbers:
> > > <Begin Quote>
> > > An example of how big /dev can grow is if we consider SCSI devices:
> > > host 6 bits (say up to 64 hosts on a really big machine)
> > > channel 4 bits (say up to 16 SCSI buses per host)
> > > id 4 bits
> > > lun 3 bits
> > > partition 6 bits
> > > TOTAL 23 bits
> > > <End Quote>
> >
> > What you've missed quoting from my FAQ is:
> > ===
> > This requires 8 Mega (1024*1024) inodes if we want to store all
> > possible device nodes.
> > ===
>
> Richard, I did not miss your wording one bit and you very well know
> it.

OK, fine, you didn't miss my wording. However, it is not the case that
I "very well know it". Apparently I have misinterpreted your meaning.

> Shawn Leas continues to make claims that the only way a person can
> have the maximum SCSI configuration is by using dev_fs.

As I recall, he has mentioned scsidev a couple of times too. As have
I.

> He has stated he wanted a "fully" populated SCSI configuration.
> That is exactly what I pointed out to him is a myth.

Read "fully" as "configured for all possible arrangements".

Regards,

Richard....