Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Terry L Ridder (terrylr@tbcnet.com)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 03:45:16 -0500

Richard Gooch wrote:

> Terry L. Ridder writes:
> [...]
> > A fully populated SCSI situation of which you are referring is
> > in my opinion a myth. If you take a moment and consider the numbers
> > you are talking about for both SCSI host adapters, disk drives, tape
> > drives,
> > etc, you will see that that is the case.
> >
> > Using Richard Gooch's own numbers:
> > <Begin Quote>
> > An example of how big /dev can grow is if we consider SCSI devices:
> > host 6 bits (say up to 64 hosts on a really big machine)
> > channel 4 bits (say up to 16 SCSI buses per host)
> > id 4 bits
> > lun 3 bits
> > partition 6 bits
> > TOTAL 23 bits
> > <End Quote>
>
> What you've missed quoting from my FAQ is:
> ===
> This requires 8 Mega (1024*1024) inodes if we want to store all
> possible device nodes.
> ===

Richard, I did not miss your wording one bit and you very well know it.
Shawn Leas continues to make claims that the only way a person can
have the maximum SCSI configuration is by using dev_fs.
He has stated he wanted a "fully" populated SCSI configuration.
That is exactly what I pointed out to him is a myth.

<major snip>

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

When the toast is burnt and all the milk has turned and Captain Crunch is waving farewell when the Big One finds you may this song remind you that they don't serve breakfast in hell ==Breakfast==Newsboys