RE: devfs: The conclusion.

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 18:23:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Shawn Leas wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Taral wrote:
>
> > How about having it store the inodes in /dev on the underlying filesystem?
> > (Or is it too hard to make the system permit mounts over non-empty
> > directories...) Also, does devfs actually create all those inodes when it
> > initializes? Why not just generate listings, etc. on the fly? The tables are
> > always there in memory. No need to create an effective duplicate.
>
> There is no need, DevFS uses negligable memory, and stripping it down so
> that it didn't have to be a whopping <23k is kind of old-world, wouldn't
> you say?

Sorry, just realized... That didn't address what you were saying at
all!... As a matter of fact, I really don't know quite how to answer that
one... As for your "union-fs" idea, it's been done in FreeBSD, and the
thought really doen't fit in the DevFS picture. Unneeded, sort of.

As for DevFS "creating all those inodes", you might be thinking of the
Device FS namespace a little simplisticly.

I hope I've maybe come close this time, eh?

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2027 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2046 for the rich and the dead.
895 days remaining in the Raw Deal.