Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 15:52:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Terry L Ridder wrote:

> > Think about it for two seconds. The devfs generates devices as needed.
> > If you have a static /dev on a normal filesystem, you have to have
> > all 8 million possible SCSI devices. With devfs, you don't.

> I would like to understand why you make the statement above?
> Why would I "have to have all 8 million possible SCSI devices"?

Because with a non-DevFS, or, non-Automagic device node creation
environment, you simply need the device nodes already there to support
them.

Simple enough for ya? If not, you just don't understand and are proving
yourself unworthy of discussing this any furthur, as you are unaware of
the issues involved completely.

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2027 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2046 for the rich and the dead.
895 days remaining in the Raw Deal.