Re: fileutils 3.16

A. Wik (aw@mail1.bet1.puv.fi)
Sat, 08 Aug 1998 18:19:35 +0000

Ragnar Hojland Espinosa <root@lightside.ddns.org> wrote:

> For those of you who remember the `df -h doesnt work there because is
> an old version' thread, a few people mentioned that someone should update
> the man pages that came with fileutils since the FSF people were
> forgetting them in favour of info.
>
> Someone has done so: http://www.lightside.ddns.org The man pages
> there are in sync with the info in the official package, but in NO way
> they have been reviewed or whatever by FSF.

Actually, someone else has "done so" too. My version of the fileutils
man pages is available from:

ftp://mail1.bet1.puv.fi/incoming/

I've also reported this to the fileutils maintainers (via
fileutils-bugs@gnu.ai.mit.edu).

After a brief comparison of our versions, I've come to the following
conclusions:

- your work is (mostly) based on the old man pages, whereas
mine is based on the info file.
- your synopsis section is a lot better than mine, although
the formatting could be improved (bold, italics, etc).
- you have missed a few options. I've missed at least one.
- your pages don't have time stamps nor do they list the
fileutils version number.

I suppose we should merge our pages into a single set...