Re: Antw: Re: CIPE - Encrypted IP Encapsulation

Alexander Kjeldaas (astor@guardian.no)
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 22:20:06 +0200

On Sat, Aug 08, 1998 at 03:09:35PM -0400, Kragen wrote:

> That means anyone who wants to distribute Linux internationally has to
> be based outside the US, and anyone who wants to work on the kernel has
> to live outside the US. So Linus, Dave S. Miller, Donald Becker, etc.,
> will need to emigrate.

So be it ;-). No actually this isn't a problem. Crypto can be an
add-on, but it should be clear that the only reason the vanilla kernel
isn't distributed with crypto is that it would create problems for
US-developers and distributors. Today, the US regulations have far
too much influence on what we do with the kernel - they directly
affect the use of crypto in the rest of the world. Not because we
don't have it, but because they limit the "free flow" of code. As I
said in an earlier posting in this thread, my take on this is to
create an international kernel patch which would include these things
that we want to have in the kernel, but US law stops. This has a lot
to do with policy. When people ask about crypto in the kernel, we
shouldn't answer "we don't have it because of US crypto laws". We
should answer "we have it, but you have to go to ftp.kerneli.org
instead of ftp.kernel.org".

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
 http://www.guardian.no/