Re: [OFFTOPIC]linux + WIN98

Paul Duncan (p_duncan@efn.org)
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 11:12:04 -0700 (PDT)

Try using the software recovery disk and see if they have a "Just install
Windows" option. That'll take off a lot of the crap they load on by
default.

After that, you should probably read the Linux on Laptops page at:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

If you really want to keep the Win95 partition as it is (2 Gig), you could
set it up to mount at boot and then sym link a bunch of the crap from an
install (I have a friend who does that).

OTT, have fun!

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Garst R. Reese wrote:

> Hi guys, sorry to intrude on the wonderful devfs list :), but I need a
> favor.
> I'm buying my lovely wife a ThinkPad 385. It comes with Win98, but I
> want to wean her off to Linux. W98 is installed on 2GB partition and
> there is an empty 1GB partition. It comes with a recovery CD, but that's
> it. No chance for a custom install. Her primary activity will be
> writing, so she needs LaTeX, ghostscript, LyX, and X + Netscape for
> surfing. If anybody has experience with a similar setup, good or bad, or
> can point me to a FAQ or HOWTO, it would greatly help.
> Me, I have a 486 with 20Mb ram, all linux 2.1.115, so I don't know jack
> about W$
> My real questions are "will lilo work?", Can I just move W98 to the
> smaller partition and have it work? I would have to trim it a bit,
> because all the shit they have loaded takes up 1.2GB.
> TIA
> - -
> Garst
>
> -
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html

/*
Paul Duncan p_duncan@efn.org Indifference will be the downfall
http://www.efn.org/~p_duncan of humanity, but who cares? - fortune

"in short, all known bugs should be "I'm to blame; I wonder just who
fixed, but hey, what else is new?" made the rules up for this game."
- Linus Torvalds - nine inch nails
*/