Re: patch for 2.1.115 wabi problem

Dave Airlie (airlied@skynet.csn.ul.ie)
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 19:07:40 +0100 (IST)

Hi,
Right I've installed the patch and wabi no longer oops on
startup.. so I think you can say that one is fixed!! ..

Right anyone know why my NFS file opens don't function ?
I'm still getting the
lockd: failed to monitor <ipaddr of my nfsserver>

Server is Sol 2.6 ..

Thanks,
Dave.

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> After some further analysis of the wabi problem you reported, I've found the
> apparent problem and have attached a patch that should fix it.
>
> The problem arose whenever kmod was launched from the wabi task. The kmod
> process is created with CLONE_VM set, so it shares the mm struct and ldt with
> the original wabi process. But when kmod does an exec to run the modprobe
> process, exec_mmap() allocates a new mm structure, but failed to create a new
> private ldt. Then when the modprobe exited, the ldt was released even though
> it was still in use by wabi.
>
> The patch fixes this by changing exec_mmap to create a private ldt for the new
> mm struct, and to restore the old ldt if there's a failure.
>
> I haven't actually tested the patch with wabi, but it passes the Torvalds-test
> and should work OK.
>
> Regards,
> Bill

------------ David Airlie, David.Airlie@ul.ie,airlied@skynet --------
Telecommunications Research Centre, ECE Dept, University of Limerick \
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~airlied -- Telecommunications Researcher \