Re: 2.1.115: ptys broken

Mark Lord (mlord@pobox.com)
Sat, 08 Aug 1998 13:56:20 -0400

Gordon Chaffee wrote:

> Mark Lord <mlord@pobox.com> writes:
> > Linux 2.1.115 is unusable on non-glibc systems.
> >
> > Either *with* CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS+CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS
> > or *without* them, I cannot open xterm windows with 2.1.115.
>
> I just upgraded to RedHat 5.1 and glibc, and I still was unable
> to open xterms in 2.1.115. I tried both with CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS
> and without, and both failed.

Mmm.. upgrading (re-installing everything) to rh5.1 fixed it for me.
Try heeding Peter's recent advice:

--
mlord@pobox.com

Okay, there seems to be two classes of people who have problems with 2.1.115, and it is both because of a messed-up configuration:

1. If your /dev/ttyp* have char major 4, then you have an ancient configuration, deprecated since 1995, which had pty majors on major 4. This configuration is no longer supported, you need to update your /dev directory to use /dev/tty* and /dev/pty* in accordance with Documentation/devices.* on majors 3 and 2, respectively.

2. If you're running glibc 2.0.9x, you either *HAVE* to use Unix98 PTYs and they need to be set up properly, OR you need to have no traces of them in your system (meaning /dev/ptmx must *NOT* exist.) The hybrid behaviour permitted in earlier versions was a security hole.

To set up Unix98 PTYs properly:

a. Compile your kernel with CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS and CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS. b. mknod /dev/ptmx c 5 2 chmod 666 /dev/ptmx mkdir /dev/pts c. Add to /etc/fstab:

none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0

(gid=5 is applicable for RedHat systems for which group "tty" has gid 5. Adjust according to your distribution. Use mode=600 if you want "mesg n" to be default.) d. mount /dev/pts

This really should go into the changes file...

-hpa