Re: CAN WE PLEAZZZ STOP TALING ABOUT THE REDUNDANT STUFF

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 09:29:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, No One wrote:

> all I'm getting is crap about the msgs everyone is getting and it's about
> 20 msgs a day. I DON'T CARE. EVERYONE KNOWS. PLEAZZZ STOP!!!

As much as people ask for people to stop discussing certain
things, it is like pissing up a rope.

The best way to maintain your sanity, is to use the "procmail"
program to filter your email. Procmail can filter out duplicate
messages, as well as sorting your mail from various mailing lists
into individual folders. It can sort and filter mail in numerous
other ways, including deleting long threads that are of no
interest to you.

I suggest anyone wanting to filter out garbage email, strongly
consider setting up a procmail filter.

man procmail
man procmailex

I'd also recommend joining the procmail mailing list until you
are comfortable at making your own filter rules.

Here is a generic procmail recipe for killing unwanted threads:

:0:
* ^TOlinux-kernel@vger
* ^Subject:.*PLEAZZZ
/dev/null

To fully understand this recipe however, is left as an RTFM
exercise to the reader.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com