Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 21:35:28 +1000

Theodore Y. Ts'o writes:
> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 10:58:18 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Andrew J. Anderson" <andrew@db.erau.edu>
>
> Similarly, dev_fs may provide the groundwork for the next "great thing",
> perhaps the idea that Ted came up with re: volume names (which being a
> former NetWare admin *does* appeal to me greatly). But the simple fact is
> that dev_fs is here today, Ted's idea is not.
>
> Actually, I released code that works for ext2 and FAT partitions; it
> just doesn't know how to read volume labels for NTFS and ISO9660 drives
> yet. But despite its limited number of filesystems which it
> understands, it is here today in a form which may be useful for quite a
> few folks.
>
> Certainly, using volume labels is IMO far better than a silly name like
> c0s1d4t6 or whatever ---- first of all, the volume name has semantic
> meaning to the user, and secondly, it works even if you remove the JAZ
> cartridge from one drive and put it into another drive, since the name
> follows the filesystem, not the SCSI id.

The c0b0t0u0 names are also good for when you don't have UUIDs:
i.e. when setting up.

> Fundamentally, I disagree with Richard Gooch that persistence is a "side
> issue". Being able to assign groups and permissions is a fairly
> fundamental part of /dev, and how system administrators allow who's
> allowed to access a modem, a tape drive, a printer, etc. To make it an
> afterthought in the design is in my opinion a big mistake, and it's one
> of the reasons why I consider devfs a hack. Running tar on /devfs at
> shutdown time is at least ten times as ugly as indirecting through a
> lookup table for resolving major/minor devifs numbers. :-)

The reason I think that persistence is a side issue is because adding
it will not change the API nor the way the devfs internal management
is done. However, I expect we'll continue to disagree on this point.
That said, I'd rather look to the future. I'm currently considering
two options for persistence:

- using a block device

- peeking through to the underlying disc-based inodes.

Ted, do you have any particular preferences/suggestions on this?

Regards,

Richard....