Re: Stack Smashing and no-exec

Michael L. Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 07:43:23 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > If an app can smash its stack and gain root shell without setuid or
> > root, then it is a problem. If such is the case, please let me know.
>
> I don't need a root shell. With pine 3.96 and the old metamail I could quite
> happily have sent a spam mail that erased zillions of peoples email. No
> root break but damned annoying 8)

AHA! So that's what happened to my mailbox. It's gone empty on me a
couple of times where I know I didn't do any cleanup. I never worried
about it much as I save too much kernel mail anyway. Someone just saved
me the trouble of deciding what to keep :)) A new pine is compiling as
I compose.. guess I'll have to clean out my own mailbox in future. 8-)

-Mike