Re: devfs

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 19:16:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > P.S. I'm not arguing for devfs per se; simply arguing for a "canonical,
> > never-out-of-date /dev" and "devices named by SCSI id".
>
> Devices named by SCSI ID is IMHO a partial solution. I should be able to
> take put a jaz disk of /home on any jaz drive on the machine and boot the
> system happily.

You'll have to be the only person that can pull this trick though.
If anyone else wants to do this, how is the kernel supposed to know whose
/home to mount? If the kernel doesn't know in advance where the /home is
located, it will have to search for it and it might find someone elses'
on another Jaz drive somewhere.

If you could defer the mounting of /home until after you log in,
you could encode a unique ID for your /home into /etc/passwd and the
kernel would be able to probe all the available devices for your /home.
But that better be your only /home anywhere on the network or you are back
to the kernel not knowing which to mount.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed