Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 18:31:57 -0400 (EDT)

Terry L Ridder writes:

> This is no different than the current /dev where the person does
> not take care in adding a new SCSI device. You have only now moved
> the problem to the SCSI controller level.

You can specify the controller order in /etc/lilo.conf AFAIK,
and you can always use modules to enforce order.

You can't specify disk order in software.

> Richard you are missing the point. It does not matter whether or not
> anyone is "forcing" anyone to use the new names, it matters at least
> to this one company in particular that if dev_fs goes in the kernel
> they will have nothing to do with linux. It is their decision.

That leaves them with the MacOS then, since even FreeBSD has devfs.
If they want to be stupid... Actually, I don't believe you.
I've seen that kind of "threat" before. It is childish.

I really can't see why you would oppose a feature you won't use.
Hey, we don't need sound cards for Real Work. Remove them. :-/