Re: Unmask IRQ safe?

Kragen (kragen@pobox.com)
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 10:10:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> How safe is the unmask_irq option to hdparm? It mentions certain
> bad combos with cmd640, and rz1000 or something, but it isn't
> clear to me wether it is safe to risk setting this on my system,
> and what the possible performance increase might be.
>
> Can anyone speculate based on their own experimentation what the
> possible benefits are, and wether it would be risky to enable or
> not?

Well, my "toy" system has it on. I'm using the pc_speaker sound
driver, which doesn't work very well without unmask_irq. I haven't had
any problems with it.

I've got a 5x86-133 on a no-name 486 VLB/PCI motherboard with a UMC
chipset, integrated EIDE, and a Seagate ST3850A disk.

(I *have* had some reports of bad blocks on the disk. I don't think
that's unmask_irq's fault, though.)

Kragen