Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@trill.cis.fordham.edu)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 22:37:31 -0400

Subject: Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

>On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:
>
>> This definitely has some useful qualities, however some things do not
need
>[ snip ]
>> if not /dev/IDE/[0-7]. There is also only 4 possible standard serial
ports
>[ snip ]
>
>I have two things to comment upon:
>
>1) I didn't know one could have more than 4 EIDE devices. For which bus
>architecture is this true for? PCI or ISA? How does this works? (I'm just
>technically curious since I've got all 4 EIDE devices in my system and
>have three more hard disks going begging that I'd love to reuse)

PCI, ISA, & VLB. The IDE standard allowed for up to four IDE cards in a
system, each capable of having a master and a slave. EIDE uses simulates
the presence of two cards. If you want to reuse those drive you will have
to get either a couple of ISA IDE adapters which can be configured as
teradary or quatrainary (something like that) or a PCI (maybe ISA too) EIDE
card which can be configured to be the third and fourth chains.

>2) You've omitted partitions/slices from your suggestions. c0b0t0u0 is
>still necessary to refer to the individual partition on that IDE device.
>
>Cheers,
>Alex

You do not need c0b0t0u0, there isn't that many possible EIDE devices.
/dev/hd[a-h] would do to address the actual device. Add a number to that to
access partitions on a disk. Simple, elegant, intuitive, backwardly
compatable, and not verbosely complex. and if you want a c0.... type device
then c0d0[p0] would do. (c = chain, d = device, p = partitions if a drive))
But this is complicating the system to fix something that is not broke.
(for EIDE, not SCSI (I do not need flames here))