Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:44:01 +1000

Stephen Frost writes:
[...]
> My only concern about devfs would be how it assigns controller
> number, I like some of the things about how SUN does it, like that the
> controller number basically never changes unless you do some strange
> stuff, is this true for devfs?

The numbering of controllers stays the same unless you swap the order
of cards around or use the scsihosts= boot parameter. Adding or
removing discs doesn't change the controller numbering.

> Except that from what I understand it doesn't break backwards
> compatibility at all. EIDE I agree works okay the way it is w/ /dev/hda,
> but that's mainly because it's consistent and the /dev/hda access point
> doesn't change if you add or remove disks, it's directly associated w/
> controller 0, master drive. Floppy drives are /dev/fd0, closer in my view
> to devfs already than /dev/sda is.

In fact, the new IDE naming scheme came about after discussions with
the (ex:-() IDE guys. It appears IDE is slowly moving in the direction
of SCSI, with more buses, controllers and even LUNs.

Regards,

Richard....