Re: [2.1.113] What is CHECK_TTY_COUNT warning me about?

Gabriel Paubert (paubert@iram.es)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 20:17:45 +0200 (METDST)

[Since I seem to be alone in getting this message, let us make the
mail private. Anyway the round-trip time of linux-kernel from here is
about 7 hours]

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:

> Gabriel Paubert wrote:
>
> > It seems to be quite harmless. On _every_ boot on a machine with a serial
> > console, I get the following (bleeding edge vger tree):
> >
> > Adding Swap: 66460k swap-space (priority -1)
> > Warning: dev (04:40) tty->count(2) != #fd's(3) in release_dev
> >
> > Red Hat Linux Linux/PPC release 4.2 (Biltmore)
> > Kernel 2.1.115 on a ppc
> >
> > corh01 login:
> >
> > it has been like this since I succeeded in booting 2.1 on this machine end
> > June. I tried to find the cause and then gave up.
>
> I've never seen this message on my machine, and haven't been able to find the cause
> by reading the code. But if it's reproducible for some, I'd be glad to make a
> diagnostic patch to track it down.

I did try to track it and I may still have logfiles with a lot of
debugging messages. Should I try to find them ?

IIRC it happens more or less just before I get the first prompt on the
serial console. But later the counts match again, so it's a very temporary
condition. What I don't understand yet is how something looking like a
race condition can be so reproducible.

Regards,
Gabriel.