Re: page_alloc strange mask += mask

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:49:53 +0200 (CEST)

On 6 Aug 1998, Zlatko Calusic wrote:

>Patched with this, your kernel will still age named pages, but will do
>that harder, so page cache pages will be reused faster and less pages
>will get swapped out.

Yes, seems to help a bit (I have not produced numbers). There' s still a
stall every time kswapd swapout things, but it seems rasonable that kswapd
swapout things (unlike 2.0), because the memory used by a lot of programs
can' t be accessed more recently than the page cache (even if we force the
cache to become older faster).

Andrea[s] Arcangeli