Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Samuli Kaski (samkaski@cs.helsinki.fi)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 12:20:13 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

..

> For killer database speed, people should use raw devices, so I don't
> think the 2GB limit is a problem.
>
> I would be really nice to hear from someone at Oracle or Informix
> about this. Presumably they know more about database performance and
> requirements than most of us here.

I have seen figures in the SAP R/3 world that Oracle 7.x.x raw
filesystems could possibly have a performance gain of upto 30% over
cooked ones.

IMHO, the the time saved by easy administration of files/tablespaces
with AdvFS (and others) is is a more important factor, thus I tend to go
go with cooked filesystems. Of course it depends a lot on what the
system is used for, that upto 30% could mean everything.

--
Samuli Kaski, samkaski@cs.helsinki.fi
Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki, Finland.