Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Michael L. Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 06:49:20 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Terry L Ridder wrote:

> I agree, both Oracle & Informix recommend that the database be on a raw
> disk partition for optimal performance. That being said there are
> however
> several instances where a "quick and dirty" "cooked" file database are
> required/wanted/desired/needed/etc. It is in those cases where >2GB
> files
> are needed.

That I don't get. What kind "quick and dirty" database has that much
data total much less all stuffed into one table? All of the databases
that I've worked on have their data spread across hundreds of tables.

The 2 gig limit is an issue for large corporate databases, but not for
anything "quick and dirty" that someone might be lugging around on their
laptop.

-Mike